Reducing Property Tax Liabilities

Nelms & Associates Services

Q: How can I sign up?

A: Contact us at your earliest convenience and we will provide all necessary paperwork.  An agent will assist you in filling out the brief contract.  The contract does not have to be renewed.  It will remain in effect until canceled by either party.

Q: What happens once I sign the agreement?

A: When we receive your agreement, we’ll file your protest and handle your hearing. We’ll also send a Property Information Sheet, Appointment of Agent Form and Fee Agreement. Once you’ve filled these out, you can simply sit back and relax.  You are allowed to attend the hearing should you choose to do so, but this is not required.  Nelms and Associates will be there in either case, representing your best interest.

Q: What information is necessary for Nelms & Associates to handle my hearing?

A: Once you are a client with Nelms & Associates, we will send you a Property Information Sheet listing several questions. Some questions residential homeowners will be asked include:

  •  Are there any visible cracks either on the interior or exterior?
  •  Does the property flood frequently?
  •  What is your proximity to commercial property?
  •  Are there other negative influences or problems?
  •  Is the property currently for sale?

Often times, with problems concerning the condition of the house, we ask that property owners send us photos as proof of any damage. If repairs are required, estimates from contractors can often be instrumental in reducing your property taxes

Q: When should I sign up?

A: You can sign up with us at any time.  The sooner you sign up the more time we have to research    our property and prepare for hearings.  A protest must be filed either by the agent or the property owner by the appropriate deadline.  We will always file on your behalf as long as we have the authority to do so.

Q: When is the protest deadline?

A: In most cases the deadline to file protests of assessed value is May 31st.  The actual deadline is    either May 31st or 30 days from the date of value notice, whichever is later.  Nelms & Associates will     file our client's protests in a timely manner.

Q: What are the benefits of a homestead exemption?

A: For every year that you have a homestead exemption, your taxing jurisdiction allows a percentage reduction from your taxable value. Also, so long as you have a homestead exemption, the appraised value of your home can only increase 10% during a given year, plus any new building permit value for remodeling or additions.

Q: What is the difference between my market value and my appraised value?

A: The market value of a property is the amount that the district believes your property could sell for if on the open market. The appraised value is often times known as your “cap,” if you have a homestead exemption. This means that even if your market value continues to increase, your appraised value can only increase by up to 10% per year. In order to obtain any tax savings, property values must be cut below the appraised value.

Q: Once Nelms & Associates has reduced my taxes, will I receive a tax refund?

A: No. Property taxes are paid in arrears, meaning that you will pay your taxes after the protest has been settled. You will notice your new appraised value on your tax bill in November.  In some cases refunds are possible from filing corrections for prior years or if your protest is delayed by the district past January 31st.

Q: If I am unsatisfied with the final value, do I have any other legal recourse?

A: Yes.  If the final appraised value after protest is still unacceptable, there are several options available.  These include mediation, binding arbitration, and filing suit in district court.  Please contact our office to discuss which options are best suited to your case.